Tuesday, September 6, 2011

2011 WEEK 35: Sea and Sky

Time sure is flying by fast lately.

After far too many days working in a row I finally took a couple of days off this past long weekend. I even took time off from taking photos! Nothing as impressive as last week's Vancouver at Night series unfortunately but there's a couple here that I don't despise...


We began our day with the vain hope of having a picnic at Whytecliff Park but long weekend crowds kept us from finding a parking spot. In fact, it was pretty much like that everywhere but we did manage to find a tucked away little beach at Lion's Bay. The view was beautiful but unfortunately turned out to be remarkably non-photogenic. Blue sea, blue sky, distant hazy mountains... You get the picture! I was craving some cloud to break up the sky but it was not meant to be so my only option was to switch to a long lens and go for a couple of close-ups such as the above image (cross-processed to boot!) and this next one:


Of course, a couple of seconds AFTER I took this picture, the subject fell into the water - Based on his surprisingly high-pitched screams I'm guessing it was pretty cold.

Departing Lion's Bay we headed back along the Sea to Sky Highway and up to Cypress Mountain. This is where moguls champion, Alexandre Bilodeau, won Canada its first gold medal in the 2010 Olympics.


Last time we saw this ski hill it was packed with thousands of cheering fans and was covered in snow - albeit snow that was helicoptered in because Vancouver suffered a warm spell slap bang in the middle of its Winter Olympics...


Alpine meadows. No sign of Julie Andrews singing "The hills are alive... with the sound of music..."


Given all the ridiculous crowds everywhere else on the long weekend, it was great to find somewhere so peaceful.


These final pictures were disappointing but I still appreciated the view from the top of the mountain. The light wasn't right and there was just too much haze to really capture any depth. This first one is only close to being ok because of the harsh backlight.


One of these days I'd love to return to the below spot to do some night timelapse shooting.


That's it for now. I have lots of things I still want to try out as part of the year-long camera adventure and I'm dying to try out my new flash on some portraiture. So if you're game for a free modeling session, need some headshots or just feel like helping me amasse content for this here blog, let me know!

Until next time folks.



No comments:

Post a Comment