Monday, June 27, 2011

2011 WEEK 25: False Creek Timelapse

Late posting this week. Apologies!

I've been wanting to experiment with some timelapse for awhile now but a) it requires certain conditions (I'm looking at you stubborn Vancouver weather) and b) time (duh!) and c) Technical know-how. This last element is pretty much trial and error so far...

My first timelapse experiment was ice melting in a glass and it was kinda cool but hopelessly inept. It only lasted about 5 seconds, was underexposed and contained a lot of flicker. I tried again when I was in Powell River and attempted a night sky timelapse but again underexposed resulting in a lot of grain/noise - but it was fun to see the Earth's orbit as the stars circled through the frame.

So, third time lucky? I don't know... You be the judge:

False Creek Timelapse from Neil Every on Vimeo.

This was our view on a (rare) sunny Sunday afternoon. Lots of boats coming and going and lots of people. As a single wide shot it's kind of "meh" in my opinion. The clouds weren't ideal being high altitude and undefined - I would have preferred more billowy, cotton wool type clouds which look so much more dramatic in timelapse.

I find it's best to watch it more than once and on each viewing focus on one group of people - it really shows a lot of human behavior!

THE GEEKY: This was shot using the super cheap, piece of garbage 18-55mm. Why choose such a crappy lens? Because to shoot a timelapse and have smooth movement and minimal flicker you need to shoot with long exposure times and to compensate for the overexposure you need to use an ND filter. The Fader ND filter I have doesn't fit my better lenses.

Here's a couple of other pictures I took after the timelapse was done.


For the record, this next one is NOT my foot!


I'm really happy with how this next one turned out. I love the different tones to the background which in reality was the in shadow edge of the sidewalk.


Oh, and for those of you who are curious, the timelapse was taken in an interval of 1 photo every 4 seconds for around an hour and a half. Total number of photos used in the final video...?

One thousand, Two Hundred and Ninety-Four!

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment