Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Reflections, Resolutions & Resurrections

January has always been a time of renewal for me.


A time to look back on the previous year, re-group, re-focus and re-apply myself. I try to approach this process with honesty and optimism. The year that was 2010 was in many ways a watershed year for me although I was unaware of this fact as I was experiencing it. I don't remember making a conscious decision to take a step back from the professional/career aspects of my life and focus on the personal but, boy did I ever need it!


Making a living as an artist is a wonderful thing but creativity is a fickle beast. It needs feeding often but its diet must be varied. Feed it too much and it sucks you into its world to the point where you suddenly find yourself running on fumes. The evidence of my creative malnutrition were obvious by the absence of any regular contributions to the blogosphere. Bottom line, I was more interested in living life for awhile than adapting it into a new medium and talking about it.


Like most things in life, its about balance and 2010 was a year of finding balance again. A time to re-stock and re-arrange the weights on the scales.


So here we are again! New and improved! Oh, and more inspired and motivated than I've been in years.


One of my many resolutions for 2011 is to get back to more visual pursuits. I recently acquired my first DSLR camera, the Canon 60D and its a tool that I'll be putting through its paces throughout the year. I'm new to still photography and I'm playing catch up on the digital cinema revolution (who knew you could shoot movies on a still camera?!) so I'll be making this the focal point of the blog from here on in.

I'm a guy who can get distracted and discouraged if I don't have some form of structure to things so to that end, I'll be taking pictures, shooting video and experimenting as I learn and I'll be posting a sample here representing every week of 2011.

Weeks 1-4 will be up over the next couple of days.

Until then, I extend the challenge to you too. You don't need fancy tools to be creative. Pick up a pencil, a paintbrush, take your iphone for a walk... Whether its that novel you've always wanted to write or that dusty sewing machine your grandma gave you way back when... Give it a shot. One page and one stitch a week...

You hear that growling sound? That's the untamed sound of a wonderful, rare creature that needs feeding!

No comments:

Post a Comment