Wednesday, January 26, 2011

2011 WEEK 3: Gracie



There's no greater test of quick composition and focussing than shooting animals and kids. So continuing the animal theme of Week 1, meet Gracie.


Gracie belongs to two amazing friends, Dee and Phil, who I used to be very close with but who over the last six or seven years I lost touch with. We recently reconnected and I am so happy we did. Some friendships come and go and are fleeting. Others last a lifetime and even if time goes by and you lose touch with one another, when fate brings you back into each others lives, you can pick up again exactly where you left off. It's like coming home.


When I last saw Phil and Dee, Gracie wasn't yet a part of their lives. This being our first meeting she sure made an impression on me - literally... She greeted me at the door with an insistent bark and me being an idiot and not knowing any better, I attempted to bark back at her. Needless to say, Gracie did not appreciate my mockery and responded with a nip to the leg. Thankfully no blood was drawn and I learned two important lessons: 1. Don't bark at a dog you do not know and 2. Don't let amazing friends fall out of your life no matter how much "life stuff" gets in the way. Gracie, thanks for putting me in my place, I deserved it!


Hopefully next time we'll be more comfortable with one another.


The Geeky:


This was taken with the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 - It's rapidly becoming my go to lens choice for evenings out. The Canon 60D is a crop sensor camera (unlike the full frame, high-end Canon 5D mkII DSLR). In terms of focal length this means a 30mm gives a field of view closer to a 50mm so its a great lens for people shots. With natural indoor lighting this lens gives a wonderful warm tone to everything even when the camera is set to "Neutral".

2 comments:

  1. Neil, this is great! I love the honesty and modesty!! You are a talented man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW Neil, thank you so much for this..now no one will want to come to visit us..lol. Seriously though, we are thrilled to have you back in our lives and now with your beautiful wife, I know we have many years of fun and memories to make.

    This photo of Gracie is great - it's now my home screen on my phone so I can show everyone.

    See you soon!

    Cheers,
    Dee

    P.S. Gracie says she is very sorry.

    ReplyDelete